PSHE – Developing the knowledge, skills and understanding to lead confident, healthy and independent lives.
PSHE is a key part of the curriculum at Victoria Primary School. We believe strongly in teaching our children the social and emotional aspects of learning, taught in discrete lessons, but also conveyed in our whole ethos and culture. Our school has a Determination from the Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE), which enables us to deliver assemblies based on the morals and values that cross all religions and make our assemblies an inclusive experience for our diverse community. We use the resource ‘Votes for Schools’ in assemblies and our children take part in healthy debate and discussion around a wide range of social and moral issues and learn to listen to and understand the thoughts, opinions and viewpoints of others. They reinforce their learning of British Values and democracy through voting every week on the topic that has been discussed.
Our aim is that every single member of our school community feels valued and respected and are treated fairly and well. We are a kind and caring community and our values are built on mutual trust and respect for all. We believe this will prepare our children to become respectful members of the community into the future and that they will continue to show these same positive attitudes towards people they meet throughout their lives, regardless of their social or cultural background.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Nelson Mandela
“Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.” Marian Wright Edelman
PSHE at Victoria Primary School…
- Builds our self confidence in a range of different situations
- Helps us to develop resilience and self esteem
- Teaches us how to identify and manage risks to keep ourselves safe
- Helps us to understand what influences our decisions
- Teaches us how to have positive, respectful relationships with others
- Helps us to make informed choices in our lives
- Supports us in knowing how to lead healthy lives
- Equips us with knowledge and skills and qualities to deal with the opportunities, challenges and responsibilities of adult life
“A person’s a person, no matter how small.” Dr. Zeuss