Geography – Explore and discover the amazing world of Keighley, Britain and beyond
Our Geography curriculum encompasses building a secure knowledge base of the subject alongside developing field study skills. We work to inspire a curiosity and fascination with the ever changing planet we live on. Children learn about the interaction between physical and human processes and the formation and use of different landscapes and environments. Our children learn Geographical vocabulary and cover a wide range of topics to enable them to apply their skills and deepen knowledge. We strongly believe that it is important that many of our topics are relevant and contextual to our children, so we explore the local area and make links with our local community and with other curriculum subjects studied to help them to make links in learning.
We believe that the Geographical skills they learn are key life skills and provide opportunities to refine and deepen these in many practical opportunities in the locality.
“The study of geography is much more than just memorizing places on a map. It is about understanding the complexity of our world, appreciating the diversity of cultures that exist across continents. And in the end, it’s about using all that knowledge to help bridge divides and bring people together.” Barak Obama
“I wish the world was twice as big and half of it was still unexplored.” Sir David Attenborough
Geography at Victoria Primary School…
- Ignites our imagination, sparks our curiosity and encourages us to ask questions
- Inspires us to be travelers, explorers and adventurers
- Build up our ‘mental map’ of our locality and other places we learn about
- Encourages us to investigate the world around us
- Enables us to talk confidently about physical and human processes
- Helps us to think about the formation and use of landscapes and environments
- Expands our knowledge and understanding of other people and places
- Develops key skills that empower us in our future lives
“Adventure is worthwhile in itself.” Amelia Earhart