At Victoria Primary School, our curriculum has been designed to be broad and balanced and provide frequent access to a rich programme of first hand experiences and visits, to help our children contextualize their learning. It is designed to give all our children the skills, knowledge, understanding and experiences to prepare them for the next stage of education and their future lives. We want our children to leave our school as confident individuals who are capable of achieving great things.
Our curriculum develops creativity, resilience and problem solving skills, which are strong contributors to good progress and attainment. It provides opportunities to broaden horizons and raise aspirations, ensuring the development of the whole child, alongside academic success. We provide a safe and positive school culture that nurtures our children to become positive members of their school and helps them to consider and understand their role in their community now and in the future.
As a school and as a Trust, we celebrate diversity and utilise the rich heritage in our community to support learning across the curriculum.
The main purpose of our bespoke curriculum is to ensure a successful learning experience for every child, supporting them in:
- Caring about their school, their community and the wider world, encouraging them to feel part of and contribute to fundamental British Values
- Developing confidence and strong characters, to be resilient and cope with adversity
- Thinking critically and caring about their learning so they always do their best
- Being creative, collaborating and co-operating to solve problems, seeing failures as an opportunity to learn
- Having high aspirations
- Developing a thirst for learning
- Developing skills of communication, reading, writing and maths sufficiently well to prepare them to be successful in their next stage of education
Our curriculum was redesigned between 2019 – 2021 to offer the best possible opportunities for learning for our children. Our curriculum incorporates the National Curriculum objectives, which are built upon year on year, providing clear sequencing and progression through school. Our curriculum has been carefully crafted to utilise the resources in our locality to take full advantage of the surrounding environment. Our curriculum is bespoke to the school and is very closely linked to life experiences that we want our children to take part in. We also take part in whole school focus weeks, such as Internet Safety Week and Anti-Bullying week.