Cartmel Road, Keighley, West Yorkshire, BD21 2RD

01535 210110

Victoria Primary School

Believing and achieving together

What are the different types of support available for children with SEN in this school?                         Back to SEND Offer

Type of support provided

What this could mean for your child

Who can get this kind of support?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.



  • Ensuring that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • Ensuring that all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows; can do and can understand.
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more ‘hands on’ multi-sensory learning and personalised teaching and learning approaches.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SEND Leader or outside staff) to support your child to learn.



All children in school will be getting this as a part of classroom practice.




Specific group work within a smaller group of children. This group may be

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a member of staff who has had training to run these groups.




  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • A support Assistant/teacher may run small group sessions outside or within the classroom setting.







Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

 Children will be at the stage of the SEN Code of Practice called 'Bradford Matrix of Need' stage 'Below Age Related Expectations' which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.

Specialist groups run by or in partnership with outside agencies e.g Speech and Language therapy or Occupational therapy groups


  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SEND Leader (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to class room teaching and intervention groups
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school and at home.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
    • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise for teachers to implement
    • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group
    • A group or individual work with an outside professional


    The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.


Stage of SEN Code of Practice:

'Bradford Matrix of Need' stage 'SEN support' which means they have been identified by the class teacher/SEND Leader as needing some additional specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from for example:

ASD Team, outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or Educational Psychologist.


Severe learning difficulties as identified on Bradford SEN Progress Grid




  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process and you can find more detail about this in the Bradford Local Offer.  
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at the first three stages of the Bradford Matrix of Need.   
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe / complex and that they need an Education Health and Care Plan to be put in place in order to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Educational Health and Care Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at Stages 1 to 3.  
  • The Educational Health and Care Plan will outline the number of hours of individual / small group support your child will receive and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.  
  • If the EHCP specifies an additional adult, they may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child or preparing adapted resources.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SEND Leader as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from services such as:

  • ASD Team
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.
  • Visually Impaired Team
  • Hearing Impaired Team
  • Physical and Medical difficulties

 Back to SEND Offer